4.03.2015

April Fool's!

Last year was the first time that I even remotely cared about April Fool's Day, possibly for the first time in my entire life. And even though it was a total bust, I decided to try again this year. Even though Tylee still isn't 100% on board, I think it has become a fun tradition. 

I am totally following in my friend Audrey's footsteps, as I watched her from afar for several years  before trying my hand at it myself! 

Our first trick of the day was for Tylee's classmates. Last year we made fake Jello drinks but this year, I stepped up my game and made these chicken legs from Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons. They were a ton of work but if you enjoy this kind of thing, worth it.   


Tylee said that her class remembered that she tricked them last year so everyone knew they were fake. She was a little disappointed but I'm not sure she truly understands the concept. If she really wanted to trick someone, fake food probably isn't the way to go. 

For dinner, we had meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy, and peas and carrots. Tylee told me she knew the meat wasn't real because there was no juice. Pretty clever kid! I thought it looked pretty dang close!


The "meatloaf" was just Coco-Krispys made into Rice Krispy Treats with pieces of red and green fruit roll-ups thrown in. (Definitely not my idea - I saw it on Pinterest somewhere.) The "mashed potatoes" were Vanilla Ice cream with Caramel Sauce over the top. And the "Peas and Carrots" were Jelly Belly's that I bought off Amazon. Dinner was a hit but Tylee was too-cool-for-school and knew (or said she knew) what everything was right off the bat. I think she thought it was fun but she is 6 going on 16 and played the "duh, Mom" game. Guess I'm going to have to stop playing nice and up my game a little bit next year!

For desert, we had brownies. 

I cannot believe that April Fools and Halloween have become two of my favorite days - and it all revolves around making fun stuff with food! I honestly enjoy doing every single bit of this and sometimes wonder if I'm doing it more for myself or my 6-year old! I must be a kid at heart! 

No comments: