7.13.2014

The Trollope's Take Texas, Day 4

Day 4 was the only day that we didn't have planned before we left and ended up being our best day! TJ was stressing me out before we left - not wanting to commit to something for our last day. I was so close to buying tickets to Six Flags and when he shot that idea down, I was not happy. We had talked about Schlitterbahn but I know he doesn't get overly excited about anything water-related so I was trying to find something that all 3 of us would enjoy. Not to mention, we are going to White Water later this summer with my family.
 
At 9pm on Thursday night, we still didn't have a plan for the next day. I am a planner so this was not okay with me. We both agreed that Six Flags was not an option, as Sea World is basically an Amusement Park with some animals. Been there, done that. I'd researched local pools in the area to find some sort of water park on a smaller scale with no such luck. We'd already been the to Zoo in Fort Worth so it was looking more and more like Schlitterbahn was our only option, which was fine by both Tylee and I. And once Daddy saw Tylee's excitement, it was fine by him as well.

 

Schlitterbahn sits on 80 acres and has numerous kiddie areas. I randomly picked what looked like the best one on the map and we walked and walked and walked some more. I think TJ and Tylee were both irritated with me but once we got to our destination, it was perfect. There was a zero-entry pool that connected to a lazy river and in the middle of the lazy river, there was a kiddie-are with lots of fun slides!

 
We basically paid a pretty penny to never ride a ride and play in the 6-and-under area all day but such is life. It was just hard to know what was appropriate for Tylee and the lines were too long to test rides beforehand. For instance, I'm familiar with all the rides at White Water so even though Tylee is too scared to ride anything, if she did decide she wanted too I know which ones are appropriate and won't scar her for life. That wasn't the case at Schlitterbahn so we just played it safe and stayed in the age-appropriate area.
 
Schlitterbahn is actually located in New Braunfels, TX which is 30-45 minutes outside of San Antonio. A guy I work with is from there and told us about some really neat family-friendly bars downtown. We visited the famous Gruene Hall, the oldest original dance hall in Texas, and went to a few neat places that have been featured on the Food Network and Travel Channel. It was a really neat area and the first place I saw in Texas where I could actually reside. City life is not for me!
Day 4 wrapped up our trip and brought our vacation to an end. We were all ready to get on the road the next morning but all really enjoyed San Antonio. It was somewhere fun to go within driving distance and had plenty to offer. This was our first official family vacation, minus some trips to Eureka Springs, the lake, and weekend trips to Kansas City and to say it was a success is an understatement! 5 full days trapped in a tiny car and motel room with the people I love most in the world - quite honestly could've went either way! I'm happy to report that it all went better than I could've ever imagined and I cannot wait to get on the road next year! Let the planning begin!
 
(Sorry for the Iphone pictures - I didn't take my DSLR to the water park.)


No comments: