10.14.2013

Kindergarten

It seems that with every challenge in life, you always come out of it only wishing you knew then, what you know now. Leaving Tylee on my first day back to work after maternity leave was horrible. I cried for daaaaays leading up to it. 10 minutes after I got in my car after dropping her off with Grammy, I took a deep breath and realized that for the first time in 3 months, I could go get a fountain drink without having to unload a carseat. The thing is, no one can help you through these moments; it is between you and your baby. Your spouse can tell you it will be okay but it doesn't help. Your sister can tell you about the first time dropping off her oldest at daycare but it doesn't take away the pain. You have to live it first hand and survive on your own before you can really take that deep breath and know that everything is going to be okay. It is such a desperate feeling to face something so painful, yet know you have to go through it in order to get to the other side. I guess this is what you sign up for when you have kids, because these hard moments keep coming and I don't see them stopping any time soon. Example: Kindergarten.
(pictures from waaaay back when we celebrated her summer birthday the first week of school)
Kindergarten has been utterly amazing. Tylee has loved it from Day 1 and we have been throughouly impressed with her teacher and the school thus far. It was a HUGE decision for us as to whether we should keep her in her safe little bubble with Parsons Schools and ultimately make someone else responsible for her daily drop-off and pick-up, or if I should bring her to Altamont with me and make life easier on everyone. We chose the latter and couldn't have made a better decision. We have quickly found a routine and it seems to be a good fit for everyone, most importantly Tylee.
 
So far, the best thing I have to say about Altamont Grade School is the size. With only 13 kids in her class, of course I am happy about the one-to-one ratio. More importantly though, I'm excited about the size of the entire school. We have some friends that have a daughter with a summer birthday and chose to keep her back a year, and I've been pretty sad that her and Tylee wouldn't be in the same class. Turns out, that will only matter a little. Tylee not only knows all 13 kids in her class, but knows the 13 kids in the other kindergarten class, a bunch of 1st graders, 2nd graders, 5th graders, and beyond. A lot of our friends kids go to her school and she talks daily about playing with Jordan on the playground, eating lunch with Cooper, or talking to Brooklyn in the hall. A 5th grader made Tylee a duck-tape pen the other day and when I asked how she knew her, she simply told me it was her friend. I know when I was in 5th grade I wasn't co-mingling with the Kindergartners, but apparently they do in Altamont.

However, the most shocking thing about school thus far, is that Tylee is bringing home papers like these:

I love poodles. (or I poodles love.)

Brax, Brynna, Braylee, and Brecca

I love my Mom, Dad, and Grandpa.
 
My cousins live in Chanute. Brynna, Braylee, Brecca.
 
She couldn't have done any of that before Kindergarten. She went in knowing all of her letters and most of her letter sounds but was a looooong way from sounding out words or putting anything together. Not now. Her favorite thing to do is sit in the living room and write out words. She will ask TJ and I our favorite color or animal and a few minutes later, we have a drawing that says, "My farit anml is liun." It is quite impressive. If she has come this far in 6 weeks? I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year brings.
 
So of course, this far in and being on the other side, I now know that Kindergarten has been wonderful for Tylee. We had a couple social issues the first few weeks but everything seems to be smooth sailing now. Thinking back to how big of a basket case I was in the weeks leading up to sending her is comical. But hindsight is always 20/20, right? These major life events are going to keep coming and I guess that is what you gain with age - knowing that almost everything in life turns out to be okay one way or another.

1 comment:

Sunni said...

Just last week I called Curt before getting home from work and told him not to push my buttons because I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I further informed him not to ask questions because we had family pictures and I didn't want to cry before them. I told him it was going to be ok and we could talk the next morning when we had some time to ourselves (and after a good night's sleep). I've been stressing out over the right thing to do for Gage in regards to schooling so I feel your pain and know just how a mind races with the possibilities, the what-ifs, and the questions. I can't explain why I do this to myself but I'd like to believe it's because I love my children more than words can say and want to do everything in my power to give them the absolute best that life has to offer.

So after much consideration, hours of playing scenarios over and over again in my head, wondering, praying, and making mental pro/con lists for all the options, I finally got a quiet, adult moment with Curt. I told him what was weighing on my mind and within 60 seconds it was done. Over. He responded something like this: "you have a bad feeling about it, I already told you I have a bad feeling about it, he's not going. That's the final decision." And just like that, the weight of the world was off my shoulders. (er, actually, I did have to ask a few questions...what about THIS? what about THAT?... But of course he has a simple and direct answer to those questions too so viola! Problem solved).

It's crazy how different men are than women and how much trouble we borrow by engaging our brains. :) I feel very blessed to have someone to balance out my erratic thoughts and behaviors, someone to have my back and help me out of the ditch when I veer off path. I'm sure you feel the same way and I'm so happy to read about a happy outcome and to know that Tylee is thriving at her new school. As a parent, there is no greater joy than the joy you experience through your kids!

Sorry for the comment that became it's own blog post when I could have simply said: I know what you're talking about and I'm so happy everyone is doing well.

But then again I'm not male so my mind doesn't work like that. :)