5.21.2013

Last Day of Preschool

As most of you know, sending Tylee to preschool this past year was a really hard decision for me. As most things that I tend to stress out about for no reason go, it has been a wonderful experience.  She has made several good friends and is thriving academically. Her teacher told us at this last conference that if she didn't know Tylee had a summer birthday, she wouldn't have ever guessed she was born in June and has no doubts about sending her to Kindergarten. I am not fretting over this decision but it isn't something that we've taken lightly, either. I guess I get some comfort and reassurance from my sister being a Kdgt teacher, one of my best friends being the School Psychologist, and my Mom teaching Elementary school for 27 years. All of these people spend a lot of time with Tylee and all 3 give her the go-ahead. Decision made.
Tylee has loved everything about school this year and I ask her several times a week, "How do you know that?" Most of the time, "I just know" is the answer but it is usually obvious it came from school. At the beginning of the year, Tylee was definitely behind academically. It wasn't because of her intelligence but more-so lack of exposure. I wasn't that worried about her letters and letter sounds because that is what preschool is for. Last year in 3-year old preschool, she learned how to stand in line and walk to the bathroom, sit on the carpet with her hands to herself, how to wait her turn for handwashing, ect. This year, she has learned all her letters and most of her letter sounds, she can count to 20 and beyond, knows 8-10 nursery rhymes (complete with actions), and is very good at grouping things. Just this morning during breakfast she told me that her biscuit was part of the grain-group and the gravy was part of the dairy group. She knows the days of the week, is starting to grasp the concept of money, and is beginning to be concered with time. I cannot wait to see how far she comes next year.
 First day of school, August 2012 - Last Day of School, May 2013
 
Next year will be the real deal Kindergarten but I feel like this 5-day a week preschool at a regular elementary school has just eased us all in to this transition. Don't quote me on this next August when I'm bawling like a baby because I just dropped my little girl off at Kdgt but right now, I am happy with our decisions thus far. With these last days of preschool coming to an end, we've been savoring our afternoons off with her and all the extra flexibility that preschool brings. We won't have the same luxury's next year but tis the seasons of life. Bring it on, we are ready.  

No comments: