2.05.2013

What's in a Name?

Whenever I got pregnant, TJ and I decided not to find out what we were having. It was something along the lines of, "The sex won't matter once the baby is here." (This ended up being the wrong decision for us but that is a whole different post.) Even though we had no evidence whatsoever, we were both convinced that we were having a boy. I was so sure, I almost bought nursery bedding. Needless to say, our minds were wrapped around all things boy.
Meet Tylee Jo Trollope.
 
"It's a girl!" they said. SHOCK. While I spent the next 2 hours in happy land getting all sewed up, TJ spent those first precious hours with our daughter. Our poor nameless daughter that we thought was a boy.
 
We had plenty of boy names but I honestly don't even remember what we had agreed on. I think we had settled on Tuck but we didn't really see eye-to-eye on names so I'm not sure we had officially decided. My main criteria when choosing a name was to just name the kid what we would call him/her. Do not name a kid Tucker and then call him Tuck - just name him Tuck in the first place. Which now that I say that, I believe that was actually our dilema with that name - our middle name was Jo and Tucker Jo is cute but Tuck Jo was definitely not cute. My top boy names were Tigg and Trigger but obviously none of those mattered because here we were, with a healthy 8 pound 8 oz baby girl in our arms.
 
We had briefly discussed girl names. I mean, we weren't totally oblivious to the fact that he could be a she. I remember I really liked the name Tilly but, "What if she wanted to be an attorney or something?" TJ asked. I agreed, it probably wasn't a great adult name. The girls at work knew a girl named Tylee and we both kinda liked that, but hadn't given it much thought.
 
So here we were, announcing our baby girl to our friends and family when someone asked, "What's her name?" (Sidenote: we were very secretive about our name choices when I was pregnant because all it would've taken to mess with my head would've been for someone to say, "Hm" in the wrong tone and we would've been back to square one.) Tj and I both looked at each other and shrugged. One of us said, "Tylee?" and the other said, "Sure."
 
With that said, I love her name. We couldn't have made a better decision. I think it fits her perfectly and it is normal enough that people pronounce it right but not the most common name in the world.
 
So yah, there you have it. The longest story ever about how our daughter Tylee Jo Trollope, got her name.
 
button
If you are coming over from My Very Own Modern Family link-up! Welcome!

No comments: