11.14.2012

Turkey Trot





I survived my first 5K! Although it's a totally normal thing for some, it was pretty monumental for me. I can't say that I enjoyed the 41:09 minutes of running, but I did love the whole experience. I ran with two of my besties from highschool and I 100% couldn't have done it without them. (Jayci kept saying "This is the last hill" and then we'd turn the corner...another hill. I cussed at her. A lot.) The wind was SO strong and there were hills out the wazoo. It was unlike any training I'd done over the last 8 weeks but with them, I was actually able to take 10 minutes off my time. The whole experience was very rewarding but the best moment of my day was when I rounded the last corner and my brother, Erin, several cousins, Brother-in-law, nephews, and my running friends from Parsons were there waiting for me, cheering me on. (However, this does mean that they all beat me!) Such a surreal feeling.
I've been pretty shy in telling about the playlist that I listen to when I run. Seems like most people openly share and exchange songs (because they are recent, popular songs) but I listen to country 99.9% of the time these days. Needless to say, the stuff I have is all old and I'm embarrassed I'm still listening to it. (Brittany, anyone?) However, I have to say that most of the songs on my playlist remind me of a person or a meaningful event in my life. Hearing those cheesy-ass songs really helped push me when I was literally on my last breath, thinking I couldn't go any further. Some of them are slow: You Got What I Need by Joshua Radin is TJ and Tylee's song. (My runner friend told me once that every song doesn't have to push you, sometimes you just want to cruise and I totally believe this.) Some of them are oldies but goodies: You Don't Mess Around with Jim by Jim Croce is my Dad's song and Livin on a Prayer is my brother's song. (Email me if you want to know if I have a song for you because I probably do! Ha!)
So yah, I made it. It was hard, fun, and rewarding as hell. I celebrated afterwards with some beers and lots of greasy food that I haven't eaten in over a month. As of today, I'm back on track..and just got home from a 2.5 mile run. This. is. addicting.

 
 
 

No comments: