7.02.2012

Washington DC - Day 6

The last day of the trip, we headed to Baltimore Maryland to tour Ft. McHenry. It was a neat place but so hot. We got there in time to help with the changing of the flag, which was a very neat experience for the kids.
After that, we headed to the Balitmore Inner Harbour area. It was by far my favorite place on the trip. We got tickets to the National Aquarium and made our first stop at the Dolphin Show. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this and it was so neat. I hope we can take Tylee to Sea World sometime soon so she can see it.
We wondered around the aquarium a little more and then headed out to explore the area.
Beautiful place but again, HOT! I think we were all happy that our next stop was back in Washington DC at The Newseum and in the AC!
My favorite part of the Newseum was the September 11th exhibit. Very moving and so, so sad. This was the radio tower that was on top of one of the Twin Towers.
This was the only media person to be killed on September 11th's gear. There were images taken shortly before he died on the camera.
Section of the Berlin Wall
The Newsuem was really neat and I probably would've been lots more interested on Day 1 vs. Day 6. By this time, we had just done SO much that everyone I was so, so tired and was starting to get anxious to get home. The Newseum would be one of the 1st things that I would do if I ever go back to DC. Thankfully, our next stop was a pretty relaxing one: a Washington Nationals game.
One of the first things I noticed was Adam Laroche's name on the jumbotron. I was the baseball manager in highschool and he played for Ft. Scott. I remember Chanute playing them when I was a freshman and he was a senior and everyone talking about how good he was. It was kinda neat watching him play in the Majors. (Although he went 0-2.) It was a very, very fun game and the kids had a blast. We were actually on the jumbotron twice and were later shown on ESPN during the highlights. Definitely the first time that's ever happened to me!

We flew home on Thursday (8 full days away from Tylee!) but I was totally pictured-out and knew our sponsor was taking some. A plane is a plane, right? I have one more post that I need to write and sum things up and I have a lot of pictures that our Sponsor took of me at various places (It was great having someone else taking pictures so I could be in some!) but I'm going to move on to Tylee's birthday and 4th of July so I don't get behind. One final post coming about DC soon. (And I would like to actually go back and edit and crop some of these pictures to make my posts better but do you know how long it would take to sort through 852 pictures? I keep thinking I'll make a shutterfly book as well but haven't even opened the folders of images since I got home.)

No comments: