6.17.2012

Washington DC - Day 3

We started out Day 3 (Sunday) with a short devotional at Iwo Jima. It was the perfect morning to go as we were the only ones there. The neatest part about this trip was that we had a bus driver that was with us from 6:30am until 10:30pm. He took us where we wanted to go, we hopped off, did our thing for 10 minutes, got back on, and went to the next stop. That, my friends is how we crammed in so.much.stuff in 8 days. There was no metro, no mapquesting, no finding a parking spot, and 99% of the time we got front door service.
After our devotional, we headed to Arlington National Cemetary. I think this is one of the things I was the most excited to see and was probably the most disapointed. I was looking forward to some neat photos because I've been totally awed by the beaty in all the pictures I've seen but those people must work HARD for those shots. I guess I just didn't have it in me. 

Tomb of the Unkown Soldier
After that, we went to the Holocaust Musuem but no photos are allowed so I left my camera on the bus. Turns out, I could've taken pictures of some of the quotes and architecture outside but it was too late. This was a very humbling experience but possibly one of my favorites. It was a very modern musuem and one could spend hours in there. The TV's sat down inside big cement walls because the images were so disturbing that you had to blantantly walk over and look down inside the hole if you wanted to watch. The 2 things that stood out to me from this musuem were the personal testimonies from survivors and the rooms full of shoes. There was a quote above the shoes that read, "We are the shoes, we are the last witnesses. We are shoes from grandchildren and grandfathers from Prague, Paris, and Amsterdam. And because we are only made of fabric and leather, and not of blood and flesh, each one of us avoided the Hellfire." Disturbing.


Next up? The Smithsonians. For as bored as I was, I sure took a lot of photos! Definitely not my thing. If I would've went right out of highschool, I probably would've been more interested but you had to read about everything to figure out what it was and what happened and I just wasn't into that much learning. Especially since we just spent 2 hours reading in the Holocaust Musuem.
Apparently this is a painting by Divinci. See? Not my thing.
Some girls and I ended up sitting at the Sculpture Garden for a couple hours soaking our feet and taking cat naps. It ended up being an awesome way to spend the day.
After that, we took a short jaunt to Union Station for some dinner and then sent the kids on a cruise on the Potomac. Aw, quiet time!
 Things I found interesting: Almost everywhere in Washington DC has a "No Gum Allowed" sign posted and the guards/policemen actually watch for gum chewing.

No comments: