5.26.2012

Back on the Wagon

If you follow my Instagram feed, you've probably been seeing posts such as these.
I found my "healthy eating" routine again about a month ago and have been doing great. Unfortunately, I fall off the wagon very easily. I mean, one bad meal can totally blow my motivation and I may not start trying again for a year. True story. Hopefully, I've got my mind in the right place this time and I can truly make the lifestyle change that I need to make. I'm about 25 days (and 8 pounds) into it this time and am going strong for a few reasons.

1) It's summer and who likes to be fat in the summer?

2) I've totally changed my mindset. I started this journey with the 17 Day Diet and cheated on days 2, 3, and 4. Bummer but you know what I cheated with? Squash, corn, and 1/2 a baked potato on Mother's Day. Those things aren't bad at all on Weight Watchers but are not allowed on the 17 Day Diet. I like the basic concept of this diet (fruits, veggies, lean meats, and yogurt) but there is no way that I can be that restricted. (I decided that WW was too lenient for me right now. I need more structure.) Before, if I would've "cheated" with corn, I would've felt like I failed, thus woken up the next day and eaten some cookies. I've made up my mind that as long as I follow the basic principal, I am not going to let "life" get in the way, thus making me feel like I failed and turning into a tailspin of bad eating. Lean meat, fruit, and veggies are my goal but if I have a carb or starchy veggie (or beer) every now and then, oh well. Funny how changing your mentality can make the simplest things work.

3) The Couch to 5K program. Don't get me wrong, I really have no intention of running a 5K but I love that this program gives me structure and an excercise goal. Whenever I tried to excercise before, I just went when it was convenient for me. If I was tired or couldn't fit it in one week, I didn't. Then one week off would lead to 2 weeks off, ect. This program is designed to take the non-excerciser from sitting on their couch to being able to run a 5K in 8 weeks. I run/walk 3 times a week and it is a 30 minute program. I am loving it!

4) And last but certainly not least, my work is sending me to Washington DC in a couple weeks. From what I've heard, we walk 10 miles a day in the 100 degree heat and go from 5am to 10pm non-stop. I am the sponsor for 36 highschool students across the state and don't want to be dragging behind the rest of the group. I love having this motivation to help get me in shape before my trip...now its up to me to decide what I'm going to use to keep me going after!

No comments: