1.24.2012

Letter Sounds

Tylee doesn't have the slightest clue what the ABC's even are. I know...Parent of the Year Award, right? She couldnt' even begin to hum the tune if you asked her too. This is definitely my our fault - we have never tried to teach her the ABC's. Part of this stems from my sister...you know she is a Kindergarden teacher, right? She said that the ABC's aren't overly important and actually confuse kids because they really just need to know letter sounds. Perfect!! Thats why we never taught her! (Insert sarcasm here) But for real, if they know the letter name for G, then they want to say the sound is /J/ instead of /G/.
Well, Tylee has started learning her letters in Preschool and she doesn't have a clue. The other night in the car she was saying, "She - She - Sheep. Kit - Kit - Kitty. Bre - Bre - Brecca. Chip - Chip - Chipmunk." I was like, "Tylee, what are you doing?" And she said, "Mom! I'm practicing my letters. Stop listening!" Obviously, we have a loooong ways to go. I think I'll buy some Flashcards at Wal-mart this week.

No comments: