10.30.2011

Lasagna

My love for cooking didn't start until Tj and I got married and we moved into our new house. I remember attempting Lasagna one other time but I boiled the noodles in advance and layed them on wax paper to cool. I remember that it took forever and was a big sticky mess. Then I started working at Twin Valley and met Jennifer. She would make Lasagna during the week and I kept wondering who in the world had that kind of time! Tricky, tricky! She didn't boil her noodles in advance - she just made sure there was enough liquid in the pan for the noodles to absorb when it bakes! I made Lasagna several times after she told me that trick but it was only recently that it was good enough to write down and actually replicate. I think this is a version of her recipe (the Spaghetti Sauce Mix is definitely hers) with a few things of my own added in. Delish! And more importantly, EASY!

Cast of Characters:
1 lb Hamburger
1 lb Sausage
Onion, diced
3-4 cloves fresh garlic or 1 Tbps from the jar
2 Cans Tomato Sauce
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
1 Package Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning
1 large container Cottage Cheese
3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, Divided
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
3 Eggs
Tomato Juice
Lasagna Noodles
In a large skillet, cook hamburger, sausage, and onion. Drain and rinse. Add mixture back to skillet and throw in the garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes and then add Tomatoes, Sauce, and Spaghetti Sauce Mix. Simmer over low heat 20 - 30 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, mix together Cottage Cheese, 2 cups of Mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and 3 eggs. I threw in some Parsley for a little color but I've never thought Parsley really added any flavor to anything.
 After the sauce is finished and the cheese mixture is made, pour enough Tomato Juice in the bottom of the pan to coat the bottom and place Lasagna Noodles on top.
 Add a layer of Tomato Sauce and then a layer of the cheese mixture.
 Add another layer of noodles.
Repeat with remaining sauce (leaving just enough left to cover the top), all of the remaining cheese mixture, and then one last layer of noodles.
Pour the remaining Tomato Sauce on top of noodles. Before you put on the cheese, pour the rest of the can of Tomato Juice (or just some more if you are using a big jug) into the pan, making sure you pour it down all 4 edges of the pan and filling any extra space with juice. You will need a lot of liquid in the pan since you are not cooking the noodles beforehand. Top lasagna with remainging cheese. *Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half.

*I really have no idea how long you cook it. I made this today but am not planning on cooking it until later in the week. Those were just my notes from last time. I assume that is close.

No comments: