6.27.2011

Tidbits - 3 years old

Since it is going to take me awhile to get a birthday post together, I thought I would do Tylee's 3-year update with some funny tidbits thrown in. This girl cracks me up.
  • God forbid the TV be on something other than cartoons. Saturday morning she had asked me several times to turn on cartoons and I was ignoring her. Then she said, "Mom, say it with me. Turn...on...cartoons. Say it with me, Mom." When I didn't oblige she told me, "If you don't turn on cartoons, you are going to get a spankin." We've been hearing her say things back to us that we tell her. For instance she will say, "If you eat all your dinner, we can go to the park. Is that a great idea, Mom?" Or when we were in Branson I heard her tell Brax, "If you go to sleep now, we can go to the swim park tomorrow." She is definitely a little bossy.
  • The other day Dirt Road Anthem by Jason Aldean came on and Tylee told Tj, "This is Jason Aldean. He is a very good singer." I have no idea how she knew that but she was right! If you ask her who her favorite singer is she'll tell you Taylor Swift and Jason Aldean.
  • She is so independent that she gets her own sippy cup out of the drawer, fills it with ice and water, and puts the lid on all by herself. When I get home from work there are usually 3-4 dirty cups around the house because when she loses one, she just goes and gets a new one.
  • When we practice counting in the car, she cannot count to ten to save her life. I can't say I haven't been a little worried about this. However I just recently learned if you put objects in front of her, she can touch each item and count them up to ten. Apparently "rote counting" (usually) comes first but is basically just memorizing words with no association to actual numbers. One-to-one correspondence (usually) comes later. Go Tylee! (Unfortunately, I should probably mention she only knows one letter in the entire alphabet, T)
  • Every single night she comes into our room and has to tell me something. And every single night she tells me the exact same thing. "I am sorry I slammed the door, Mom." And I tell her that it is okay - I don't even remember her slamming the door. Then she says, "But why did you give me a spankin?" And I say, "Because we aren't supposed to slam the door. Now go to bed babe." And off she goes! I have no idea what she is talking about but apparently it stuck!
  • Likes/dislikes - Food: Macaroni and Cheese (I should have bought stock in this stuff), Popcorn Chicken, Yogurt, Square or String Cheese, Toast. Those are the only 5 items that I am guaranteed that she will eat. Play: We color a lot. She is very crafty. She likes to color in coloring books and also draw pictures on plain paper or with sidewalk chalk. Other than that, I would say that 99% of her play right now is role-playing with either her babies, doll house, or stuffed animals. She has quite the imagination. Television: She doesn't really have a favorite right now. I can tell she is getting older and prefers Tangled and Beauty and the Beast over Dora or Diego. She used to never want to watch some of the shows geared towards older kids like the Fresh Beat Band or The Upside Down Show but now she is pretty content with anything other than adult programming. Except Family Guy. :-S Good thing she doesn't get any of the jokes.
  • I think this is genius but either no one else gets it - or I am giving her more credit than she actually deserves - but when we role play with babies (or a stuffed dog or racoon) she changes the tense of my name when the animal is talking to me. For instance, she will say, "Mom, Racoony is hungry." And I will say, "Okay. Tell Racoony that we will eat when we get home." And she'll say (talking to Racoony), "Racoony, Chelse said we'll eat when we get home." Then she will hold Racoony (that is actually a Lemur) up to me and say, "But Chelse, I want a grilled cheese - not a hamburger." And I'll say, "Okay Racoony, I will make you a Grilled Cheese. What does Tylee want?" And Tylee will say, "I want a Grilled Cheese too, Mom."
  • Sometimes Tylee will stay in her pajamas for 3 days straight. (Tj calls her Hugh Hefner.) The second we walk in the door she runs to her room and puts on her pajamas and it is like pulling teeth to get her to put on clothes. But when we do put on clothes, every last thing has to match and she has to pick it out. Normally I let her dress herself (within reason) but trying to find an outfit we both agree on takes forever! School this fall should be interesting. We'll definitely be picking out clothes before bed.

No comments: