3.24.2011

Stuffed Peppers

And finally, my 3rd and final installment of "Chelse was going out of town and made a bunch of goodies to take with her." Stuffed Peppers! I have to warn you, these are a lot of work for not a lot of peppers but the end result is worth the work.

Cast of Characters: 
Jalapeno Peppers, Cream Cheese, Onion Salt, Garlic Powder, Cajun Seasoning, and Bacon. I normally count the slices of bacon in the package and then buy that same # of peppers. I think it is usually around 12 or 13 and one package of cream cheese will make about that many peppers.
 Mix about a tablespoon each of the Onion Salt, Garlic Powder, and Cajun seasoning in with the cream cheese. Set aside.
 Next, cut the tip of the peppers off and cut in half lenthwise.
Scrap the seeds and membrane out of the peppers. We have this tool from William-Sonoma because we make these a lot, but before we had that - I just used a paring knife.
This is what makes the peppers HOT so the better you do this, the better off you will be in the end. And I don't feel right not sharing this detail: your hand will burn for days if you don't wear a glove. Be careful!  
Take the cream cheese mixture and fill each pepper-halve.
Then wrap in 1/2 slice of bacon. (Cheap bacon does not pay off here. You need some thicker bacon with actual meat to hold the cream cheese in the pepper.)
Grill (or bake) for I have no idea how long or how hot. Maybe 30 minutes, flipping them once? I normally cook them over medium heat until the bacon is done. If you cook them too hot, the bacon will crisp up before the pepper has enough time to cook and get soft.  
I don't use toothpicks (because that is actually the part that sucks the most) so some of my peppers look like this...
and some look like this. Its okay though because those are my "taste-testers."
When you are finished, you'll have an awesome plate of peppers that I swear your guests will LOVE. I haven't had a single person not love these and they are always all gone.

1 comment:

Tara said...

David would LOVE these! I can't wait to try them out. Thanks for sharing!