2.27.2011

Big Girl Room

I finally got Tylee's room to the point where I feel comfortable sharing but it still isn't 100% where I want it to be. It will probably take me awhile to get it there and I didn't want to make you guys wait another 6 months. I have 2 issues with the room. 1) The top part is a lot more pink than I wanted it but by the time I realized it, we already had spent $70 in paint. I got several opinions and went ahead and went with it but I should've trusted my gut. Oh well. 2) It never crossed my mind that every single item going in the room was pink - a pink kitchen, a pink doll house, pink bedding, a pink bean bag, a pink step-stool, ect. Needless to say, there is a LOT of pink.
Once I realized that her room was way too pink, I knew I needed some major accent colors. I took the bedding to JoAnn's fabric and picked out something that I normally never would've went with. I tend to like matchy-matchy stuff but Ashley Ann and HGTV mis-match stuff all the time and it looks great. So I got a quilt-pack of greens and blues to frame and make throw pillows with. (I need a little more for the last frame.) 
I have to say that I LOVE the way the frames and bed turned out. I would say it looks like something straight out of Pottery Barn but I can't lie - it looks like that because it is. I can take credit for the throw-pillows though! 
My next favorite thing in the room is the chicken wire frame that hangs above Tylee's bed. I copied that off of who else but the famous Ashley Ann. It is pretty busy but works for now. I want to thin out some of the pictures and then matte a few with some pieces of that same material but I ran out. I'm thinking of making some flower clips and adding some other odds and ends to the frame as well. All in time, I guess.
Unfortunately, I don't have a wide angle lense so I cannot get a picture of the whole room. You will have to use your imagination for how its all laid out but I shared the important parts. We need a curtain (not sure what color) for the not-shown window and I am going to make some sort of ball/pom-pom collage to hang from the ceiling. Like I said before, it will probably be awhile before I get all those little extras finished so I thought I would go ahead and share. Hope you enjoyed the tour!

5 comments:

Aud said...

Love it!!!!!! What is funny is that I bought the Madres set for Baby Girl! Obviously we have good taste. I didn't get the bumper but I have the skirt and pillow and a sheet set.

Jen said...

Love it!!! You're so creative!

Chris and Darci said...

Love! I think it's all coming together great! I really love the the blue and green thrown in! I've been stalking Pottery Barn Kids b/c I've found the bedding for Jack's "big boy" room and I'm waiting/hoping it goes on sale soon! You will have to help me with the room accessories though - I think I failed on that in his nursery, the walls are bare!

Tara said...

Great job! I love it!

Wyatt's Momma said...

beautiful big girl room! great accent colors and love the picture frame/fabric idea!! also loving the accent wainscotting on the one wall. genuis!!