2.17.2011

2.5 Year Update

I never did a 2.5 year update on Tylee and I figured better late than never, right? So lets see if I can document Tylee in a nutshell right now.

Let's start with everyone's favorite thing: Food! I guess I should rephrase that - it is my favorite thing but apparently Tylee could care less about food. Some days she won't eat a single morsel and the next she will eat a 6-piece Chicken Nugget meal all by herself. I never stress about her food intake and have learned by now that she will eat when she is hungry. Her favorite things are Macaroni and Cheese, any form of chicken, steak, pasta, grill cheese, square cheese, yogurt, green beans, and most fruits. With that said, I could give her a whole meal of all her favorites and she may or may not take a bite. The only annoying/worrisome thing about the whole situation is that I never know whether to order her something or make her a plate.

Vocabulary: The cutest part about her vocabulary right now is her expression. She tilts her head, points her finger, and wrinkles her eyes often. I need to post some videos sometime because she is definitely a drama-queen. I was talking with my family this weekend and someone pointed out that they loved how Tylee always talks in complete sentences. It brought me back to second grade having to write, "The girl said yes, she would love to go swing!" over and over and over again. I remember fighting my teacher and thinking it was dumb to have to write both parts of the sentence. She told me that someone should be able to read the sentence and know what question was asked. Tylee must've gotten that memo because she always makes sure to repeat both parts of the sentence. "Tylee, do you want something to drink?" "I do, Mom! I do want a drink." Or, "Tylee, did you color on that chair?" "I did. I did color on that chair, Mom." She is very matter-of-fact.

She also has grasped some form of past tense. I probably wouldn't have picked up on this but she puts a separate "ed" on the ends of words when she is talking about something we've done in the past. "I walk-ed at the Zoo, Mom. One time, I did." Or, "I drank-ed that juice before. I did, one time Mom."

Likes: Her hobbies are probably the same as most 2-year old girls hobbies. She loves all things princess, playing dress up, and dancing around while singing to Taylor. She likes to color, is pretty successful at puzzles, and still loves to read books. Her favorite cartoon is still Diego but Beauty and the Beast maybe be inching its way closer. She still plays very, very well by herself and I rarely worry about her when she is out of sight. 

Intelligence: She knows all her colors but still finds a reason to ask me 500 times a day, "What color is that, Mom?" I usually tell her the wrong color and she gets mad and yells, "No! That is not orange, it is purple, Mom!" I am sure there is some sort of ploy for attention...which works because I always answer her. Her counting is finally starting to improve. She counted, "2, 5, 7, 2, 5, 7!" for months but lately I have been hearing, "1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8!" I can't really say I've worked with her a ton on her counting so I'm not complaining. I am a true believer in "they know what you teach them" and I haven't focused on letters or numbers at all.
video

Sleep: I think we have had the easiest kid ever when it comes to sleep. Things have been a little different since we gave up the binky but for the past 6 months or so when she got tired, she would go in her room and go to bed without any coaxing or even telling you she was going! It really was that easy. Sometimes we even fought to keep her awake! Since the binky is gone, we still just tell her its nap or bedtime and she goes right to bed. It probably takes her 20-30 minutes to fall asleep now but its never more than just a couple of, "Tylee! Go to bed!" and she is out. Naps last anywhere from 2-4 hours and bedtime is between 8 and 9. She is always up around 6:30 or 7:00.

Potty-training: We were making big strides with potty-training and I actually made the comment to Tj, "Maybe this really is going to be this easy!" We wore panties for an entire day and successfully went #1 in the potty 6-8 times in a row. She stopped mid-play, said she needed to potty, and would go to the bathroom. Then we had a couple of #2 accidents and she has shyed away from the whole thing since. I haven't wanted to push her but I know she is ready now. It is definitely more our fault than hers at this point because we haven't given it 100%. I'm just dreading the whole experience but hopefully I'll be posting soon that have officially ditched all the diapers.
I mentioned awhile back that we had hit our first hurdle. I honestly feel like most of Tylee's life has been all sunshine and rainbows but apparently we have hit the terrible two's. (Although a couple people have told me we are more in the terrible three's.) She is very, very bossy (afterall, she is my child!) and if she doesn't get her way - she doesn't just pout...she gets mad and yells. If you tell her to stop doing something, she simply tells you, "I don't want too." She doesn't think twice to tell you "No" either. She has definitely lost some of her innocence and her attitude is in full-swing. She was being snotty the other night and all I had to say was, "Tylee!" with my stern voice and she immediately said, "But I'm not talking back, Mom." Think I've said that a few too many times? Apparently so.

Although this has been the most trying stage thus far, it has also been the most rewarding. She is very, very loving and is so much fun to be around...95% of the time. You can't walk out the door without her saying, "Wait! Give me a hug and a kiss." She calls me at work to tell me she misses me and wants me to come home. She tells stories, talks about her day, and is as good of company (to me) as some adults are. Every good stage comes with some bad and I'll definitely take anything I can get. I am so excited for spring and summer to experience some big-girl things with my baby-girl.

2 comments:

Reed Family said...

Her little voice is SO SWEET!! That was the cutest video yet!!

Sunni said...

Adorable photos. Adorable video. Gage was really intrigued with the video, too. :)