1.21.2011

Turning Point

I've tried to live in the moment every day of Tylee's life, never wishing she was a day older or younger, always finding joy in the stage we were in at the time. So far I've thought each and every age was the best and never understood how it could get better. But it did. Now, I look at all the Mom's with kids younger than Tylee and think, "Oh, they don't even know! It gets so much better!" I've truly believed that and am being honest when I say I have never wished she was a single day younger or a single day older...until recently.
Tylee was the best baby we could've asked for. She nursed like a champ, started sleeping all night when she was 3 weeks old (aka 6 hour stretches, eating, then going right back down after she ate for another 3-4 hours), never had tummy issues, not colic, never had a major illness, ect. We were spoiled. I remember at 6 months feeling like we had turned the corner from "needy baby" to an independent fun little girl. I would say 6 months was when I felt like I got a little piece of my old life back. 1-year was fun. I loved when she started walking and have never told anyone, "Just wait till they start walking!" because I honestly enjoyed every bit of it. 18 months was fun because she had started talking and the months leading up to her 2nd birthday were some of my happiest times to date. Between 18-months and 2 years is when she truly became my best friend - talking and telling stories, learning new words and phrases, and was finally able to "hold her own" on a solo dinner date with Mom. Tylee did some major growing-up during those 6 months and I officially gained a new best friend. The months after her 2nd birthday were fun and we had a really good summer together - going camping, going to the library, and swimming every chance we got. Unfortunately, something has changed and my precious, sweet, innocent, adorable little girl is turning into a kid. And I'm not loving it.
I don't know if it actually has anything to do with her age or if its just the dead of winter and we've been locked up in the house for several months but either way - for the first time in her life - I have to shamefully admit that I'm not loving this age. There was seriously a time (when I was dumb) when I would be like, "Tj - Tylee learned to spit! Look how cute she is when she spits!" Newsflash! Its not so cute anymore. And neither is putting a spoon in your ear at the restaurant and asking if its silly. Or throwing yogurt on Boone. Or licking my face when I go to give a kiss. It was cute when she called me a stinker but its not cute now that she calls me a "stinker-butt." The learning is over and she knows better now. Cuteness = over! I'm sure its just a stage and I know that stages of 3 will be worse than 2. Stages of 4 will be worse than 3. The important part of this whole equation is that every day she is another day older, I love her a little more, and we are one more day closer to summer. It's gonna get better, right?

1 comment:

Julie Graham said...

Be glad that you never had to deal with tummy issues! Dylan and Chance both had to be on the high dollar formula and I was hoping to avoid it this time around with Tenlee, but no such luck!!!