10.05.2010

Tulsa State Fair

If I had to list the qualities of "The Perfect Day", every single thing about Monday would be included. The Fair + Family + Food = Fun!! I took a last-minute day off and Tj, Tylee, and I headed to the Tulsa State Fair. I have very vague memories of going to the fair but when I say vague, I mean, I must've been told that I've attended but don't remember a single thing about the actual fair. I was seriously star-struck when we walked in. It was just like on TV! Unfortunately, Tylee was zonked out when we got there. I cannot tell you one time that I've successfully gotten Tylee out of the car and into the stroller still asleep other than today. Figures. So Tj and I strolled along the boardwalk checking things out toddler-free for a bit. We finally decided she was missing out on too much and woke her up for some grub. On the menu: Corn Dogs, Fried Chips, and Cheese on a stick.After lunch, we headed toward the animals. Crazy doesn't even begin to describe how nuts Tylee is over animals these days, so they were our first priority. We weren't in a hurry and assumed we had time to cover all of the fair grounds but without a good nap, we didn't want to get knee deep in a crazy-toddler-with-no-nap-uncontrollable-tantrum so we decided to do the most important thing first. Am-mi-mals! And not only am-mi-mals, horseys! We weren't sure how Tylee would do riding the horse but since she is non-stop horses all the time these days, we decided it would be worth the $5 for her to give it a try. It was pure heaven. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy she was. I was rushing around trying to get the perfect picture and since my camera and I weren't getting along, I put it down and decided to enjoy the moment. And boy, I'm glad I did. I don't know that I have ever seen Tylee that happy. The Petting Zoo was right next door and although Tylee enjoyed it, I don't think it compared to the horses. (And to be honest, I'm only putting these pictures on here because I use Picasa and all the pictures I put on the blog as my back-up in case god forbid something ever happen to our hard drive and external hard drive.)Yes, there were some creepy animals. Some I've never seen before. I was happy to get out of there. We strolled back through the main isle, played some games, and decided it was time for a snack. You can't go to the fair and only eat once, right? Tylee had her first experience with Dip-n-Dots and Tj and I had our first, but definitely not last, experience with Deb's Pineapple Whip. Yummo. A prize every time! To finish out our day, we ended in the Carnival Area and although Tylee was about 5 inches short for every ride, the carnies never checked and she rode everything she wanted too. To say I was shocked is an understatement. Just 6 months ago she flipped out when we got close to a baby cow and now she is not only riding horses, but mini-rollercoasters.And Teacups.And Dinosaurs.And Dragons.

It really was the perfect day but word to the wise, 65 degree weather does not mean that its not possible for your 2-year old to get sunburnt. Note to self: Take sunscreen next year. Sunscreen.

No comments: