6.17.2010

"Swimmy Leshons"

I've heard rumors the past 2 summers that there is an amazing lady in McCune that teaches private swimming lessons. I was on the brink of getting her name and number from a friend when my other friend Gina told me she enrolled her kids in swimming lessons at the Core. You'll never guess who the teacher was? Voila! The exact same lady! In Parsons! And they offer evening classes! Woo-hoo! Can it get any better? My spirits were dampened when I was told the 3 & under class was from 6:45 - 7:15. Yuck. That means I rush home from work, grab Tylee, eat in the car, and pull up right on time. 99.9% of the time, Tylee falls asleep on the way home. Sucks. I haven't had a normal night/meal at home in 2 weeks! And to top it all off, Tylee's birthday week starts on Monday! I have a bunch of stuff to do for the party next weekend, as well as spending quality time with her and making her week special. Swimmy leshons, as Tylee would say, have worn Mommy out.But boy, oh boy, is it worth it. The first night we had to take the first 5 -10 minutes just to settle down from excitement! She was squealing, she was so happy. Everything was funny, she was showing off like crazy - total bliss. We started off the first lesson blowing bubbles. Tylee just stuck her face smack dab in the middle of the water. I was so proud of her. Then, on the first night people, we went underwater. My heart was pounding! I was so nervous for Tylee but she did great! She fusses a little but within 2 or 3 times, she had already learned when she was supposed to hold her breath. Our nightly routine is to blow bubbles, go under, backfloat, doggie paddle, kick and pull, the submarine (aka swim underwater), jumping in, jumping in - then practicing turning around and grabbing the wall - all while underwater, and last but not least, manuvering a lifejacket.
I have been so proud of Tylee and how well she has done. Her teacher has all the confidence in the world in her which makes me feel safe, and in return gives Tylee confidence. The more we do and farther we go, the more scared she seems to be each night. At times I feel like we are going backwards but then all the sudden, we take 10 steps forward. She fought backfloating all week but has finally started to relax the past couple days. She even kicked her feet last night! I could go on for days about all the things we've learned and how excited I am that we decided to take her. I think it has been a great experience for both of us but I can't tell you how happy I am - ONLY 1 MORE DAY!

2 comments:

Sunni said...

Love the title, love the photos, love the enthusiasm!

minta

Jen said...

How fun! We may have to do some swimmy leshons this fall/winter when we're bored and stuck inside!