3.22.2010

Lightscoop

I despise using the pop-up flash on my camera. So much in fact, I went back to find some pictures I took using the flash and had a hard time finding some. I found this post that I wrote right after I got my camera and its quite shocking how far I've came in just under 7 months. I'll admit, since then I've become a flash-snob. If there isn't natural light, I don't take pictures. Simple. However...I keep missing moments because I don't want want to use the flash. And aren't moments really the whole reason for taking pictures?
I realized this when Lindsey asked me to take pictures when they have their baby. I've been thinking what lens I am going to use and how I am going to set the settings on my camera so that I'll have enough light. D.O.R.K. - I know. But it's a huge moment and I don't want to miss anything or let her down with blurry pictures. I commented to Lindsey on the lack of light in the hospital and that I may have to use my flash. Her response was, "It's okay. The other 3's birth pictures were taken with a flash. I won't care." But seriously, I cringe when thinking about having to use my flash and ruining all those beautiful moments. Hi. My name is Chelse and I am a flash-snob.

(Flash = Yuck! vs. No Flash = Cute!)

Thank god my photographer friends came to my rescue. (See? Thinking about my lense, settings, and talking it over with someone who knows more than I do paid off!) My friend Amanda recommended I order one of these Lightscoops and boy is she genius! I am not totally confident I was using it right because I think I should be getting better results than this based on their website (figures!) and reviews from other sites. However, I was still super impressed...no blur!! I'll give you the run down on the pictures below.

Both of these pictures above were taken with no flash. In both instances, I knew there was not enough light (it was dark outside when I took both of these) but I didn't want to turn on my flash. And look, I missed the moment.

This picture was taken in the tub with the flash (as were these). I do like how blue it makes here eyes look but in my opinion, it gives her the "deer in the headlights" look. Which I'm not a fan of. I want some professional looking, anatomically correct, bathtub pictures...which you can't get with a flash.

These were taken in the tub with my Lightscoop. Look at that water just standing still! I've never gotten a tub picture even close to these. And it was my first time! It can only get better from here, right? That top one even looks like there may be a window in the room! And I can promise you, there isn't.

The best thing I've noticed about the Lightscoop so far is that you can still catch that moment but then fix it with a little post processing. On the 3 pictures above, the color is still off and I don't know enough about Lightroom to fix it. So...I'll let you in on a little secret. What do you do when you mess up the color and can't get everything fixed just right? Make them Black and White. And now you have some professional looking, anatomically correct, bathtub pictures...that you can't get with a flash. Unfortunately, they still don't compare to natural light. But at least I didn't miss the moment. I am going to a Snapshop in May and I'm hoping she can give me a little insight to the nasty color that I'm still getting with my lightscoop. She probably knows nothing about Lightscoops but I'm hoping to learn more about my camera, its settings, and how to work it in low-light situations. For now, I'll just be thankful that I have my Lightscoop and Lightroom when the baby comes.

2 comments:

Sunni said...

I'm totally sold on the lightscoop (even though I'm not a flash snob for so many reasons...I love flash...I'd miss too many amazing moments if I had no flash...ie life is short; Sunni has no patience)! =) Stellar investment piece and not too expensive. I'll add it to my birthday list. Ha!

eudimin

Andrea said...

I bought a lightscoop too and love it. It's great for just snapping pictures around the house!

Oh, and I've been putting huge stinkn' bows on Lyla's head so she's pretty good at keeping them on. But she's starting to finally figure out what is up there and is now taking them off!

Lyla also just got that cute green polka dotted shirt for TCP's! Super cute!